collection of interviews over the last 2 weeks:
Kimi Räikkönen hasn’t got a trophy for a while – “He can look at the old ones”
Kimi Räikkönen, 40, is already preparing for the 18th F1 season of his career, during which he will become the most experienced driver in the history of Formula One.
Räikkönen has started a family during his long career. Son Robin recently turned five years old. Daughter Rianna turns three.
– Honestly, it doesn’t change my job but it’s nice that at least Robin is definitely old enough to remember this time later. But that doesn’t change racing, Räikkönen said at a press conference of his team on Wednesday evening.
Rachel Brookes, a Sky Sports reporter who hosted the event, asked Räikkönen if he asked his father to bring trophies from the race.
– It’s been a little dry lately. He can look at the old ones, Räikkönen smirked.
Kimi Räikkönen explains his relaxed expression: “Would you like to see me limping?”
Helsingin Sanomat, 20.2.2020
Barcelona. Kimi Räikkönen is about to start his 18th season as an F1 driver. At the same time, the second and final year of the 40-year-old Finnish veteran from his current contract with Alfa Romeo will begin.
On Wednesday, Räikkönen was still on the sidelines when reserve driver Robert Kubica and teammate Antonio Giovinazzi began testing the new C39. In the morning, Kimi went with Giovinazzi to reveal the new car to the media.
“After all, quite a few new cars have been seen here along the way,” the Finnish star replied to the question, what kind of feelings did the presentation bring to him.
In an interview with HS in the afternoon sun, Räikkönen seemed very cheerful and liberated.
“Better to be in a good mood – or would you rather see me limping injured?”
Räikkönen will become the driver of the most Grand Prix races in F1 history in summer. And then, has he already considered a possible extension or retirement?
“It hasn’t changed in any direction. Same story as when you last asked. Now let’s look at some point. After all, I have no contract after this year. Then you see what’s going on. ”
So nothing has changed since Räikkönen answered the same question at the end of November in this way.
“These are things to think about in a year. Right now I still love racing. If my mind changes, I have no trouble staying home. The gang seems to think I’ll go crazy if I stay home, but the truth is, I feel very comfortable at home, ”Kimi said at the time in Abu Dhabi.
Last week, Räikkönen sent greetings to his Chinese fans after they were shocked by the news of the cancellation of the Shanghai GP due to coronavirus.
But where did that idea come from?
“Sometimes there are great ideas. It was just encouragement, ” Kimi smiled.
Are you worried about spreading the virus yourself?
“I can’t take care of it. I don’t know what the truth is in the end of the day. The papers can’t tell. Is it overdone or not. For the home team, I don’t worry because we as a family are not going there. And I have not heard that there is anything to worry about in Switzerland because of the virus. ”
Kimi Räikkönen goes to the same kart race every year – “Many of them are already driving the same pace as us”
One of the news of the week was a follow-up agreement between Kimi Räikkönen and iLOQ, a Finnish lock company. The company logos now appear on both Räikkönen’s helmet and cap.
It is rare that the world’s most famous Finn has a Finnish company so prominent on display.
– There’s a good bunch of people, and with them is very easy to work. We have the same way of thinking. Otherwise, I probably wouldn’t cooperate with them if it felt like forcing. I have to do enough things that I don’t like, so I don’t want to do anything else. They have nice people, Räikkönen said.
Räikkönen’s other personal partners are Original Long Drink from Hartwall and Singha, a Thai brewer. Räikkönen has already indicated in his book that he was interested in marketing and promotion, but not so much in the traditional form.
But for example, a karting competition hosted by a Thai company has been a favorite pastime for him. The child-loving Räikkönen has been helping the local junior academy.
– There are really nice people there and it’s fun to see the kids drive. In the early years, they were mostly little guys. Now, many of them are already bigger and drive the same pace as us. Perhaps a bit stronger than Sami (Visa), Räikkönen teases with a smile.
– It’s fun to see that they have grown up and some have been able to drive to Italy. Nice that they got the chance.
The cooperation between the Thai company and Räikkönen began in 2015. The cooperation began when Räikkönen approached Singha’s management by email.
Kimi Räikkönen would like to try new WRC rally cars – praises Kalle Rovanperä: “Yes he goes fast”
It’s Wednesday. Winter’s first F1 test day is underway, but Alfa Romeo’s Kimi Räikkönen is not driving. The day will be split in half between reserve driver Robert Kubica and second team driver Antonio Giovinazzi, but Räikkönen has only other responsibilities in his program.
Obligations he is not known to like. Interviews and filming.
Räikkönen, 40, sits on the second floor of the team’s motorhome, however, in a good mood and relaxed.
– Nothing, the same. Nothing really happened here. These interviews I did here, says Räikkönen at the beginning of the Ilta-Sanomat interview.
So it might be the boring day of the week.
– Well, probably one of the most boring days of the year, Räikkönen laughs.
Let’s talk about another sport for a moment, the rally. It has been another passion of Räikkönen, 40. However, the Finn who have driven for two seasons in the World Championships 2010-11 has not driven a rally car for some time.
– I have the Fiat (Grande Punto that Räikkönen drove his first rally in 2009), but I haven’t driven in a long time. Should have tried it, but haven’t had time. The weather is what it is. There would be time in winter, but should be good conditions. There is no snow anywhere.
– It would be great, but there is always something else. It’s fun and the new cars would be nice to try. They go pretty fast. Some rally would be nice to drive sometimes, but let’s see now. I don’t stress or think too much about it, Räikkönen says.
Räikkönen is very familiar with Toyota’s team boss Tommi Mäkinen. There are also still many driver in the series that the Finn used to compete – for example, French champion Sebastien Ogier, who was Räikkönen’s teammate in Citroen’s second team.
The sport also attracts the viewer. The young hot name Kalle Rovanperä has also convinced Räikkönen.
– Yes, he goes fast. Drives well but that may not have surprised me. He has driven for so long, always been fast and stayed on track. The car is definitely good too. An interesting season can come, even though one team left, Räikkönen predicts.
– It’s going to be a tough race. However, there are so many drivers who can win. The points can be quite confusing and the situation for a long time is such that no one is clearly running away.
Räikkönen’s career in F1 advances towards its end. It may be that the upcoming season is the last of his career. Or not. He hardly knows that himself.
But are there any cars or other new vehicles besides the new WRC cars that Räikkönen would still like to get behind?
– No at least not in my mind. I’ve driven quite enough of all sorts of things.
Kimi Räikkönen about Robin’s karting hobby: “The main thing is that he likes it”
At the beginning of February, Robin got a new kart, but of course it’s too early to say how long or real the hobby will be.
– We haven’t even driven yet fifteen times. That old Puffo car was so small that it didn’t go anywhere straight. It wasn’t that exciting to drive. Fortunately, there is a good sponsor in Italy, Räikkönen smiled.
The most important thing for Räikkonen is that the children enjoy what they do.
– Last week we went for a drive, could have been on Sunday. The boy really liked it and drove with others. The main thing is that he likes it.
Kimi Räikkönen told why he doesn’t worry about the coronavirus
The world-wide coronavirus is a source of fear, even hysteria. Many worried people might be learning about the well-known life style of Kimi Räikkönen, a Formula 1 veteran.
The 2007 World Champion has two young children, firstborn son Robin and daughter Rianna. Räikkönen travels a lot, so basically the risk of a coronavirus infection is increasing.
– If you tend to worry about stuff like that, then it’s better to stay home. There are things you can’t influence, says Räikkönen.
It is in the current home country of Räikkönen, Switzerland, that more than a thousand public events have been canceled, striking the country’s football and hockey series. Räikkönen approaches the problem through reasoning.
– There are so many things that affect it (illness): what kind of medical care is available, what is your health status and how old you are, says Räikkönen in Barcelona during the winter tests.
The risk of coronavirus infection prompted the International Automobile Federation (FIA) to postpone the April F1 China F1 race. Räikkönen doesn’t comment whether the decision was hasty or not.
– I cannot say. It was not our decision (the drivers) but their decision (the FIA).
Motocross stayed this winter
The Alfa Romeo driver is no longer under pressure of success, so Räikkönen talks openly about his family and his hobbies during the break.
– Winter has been normal. There has been time to lie low. I’ve been playing ice hockey three, four times, Räikkönen remembers.
Räikkönen also likes driving motocross, which he has practiced in Finland. This winter has not been the perfect opportunity for this hobby.
– We’ve been mostly in Switzerland. In Finland, we spent about a week, and when the temperature was zero and there was no ice, you could not use tires with spikes but also not normal tires. So you can say that choosing a tire was a problem, Räikkönen laughs.
See you on Twitter
The meager expression of Räikkönen would not be perceived as a social media user. However, Räikkönen has been on Instagram since December 2017.
At the end of January, he caught the attention of somebody by posting congratulations to his five-year-old son Robin on Twitter.
Kimi Räikkönen on Twitter?
– Of course … What did you think? he laughs.
– People often ask how good Robin is in karting. I’m not going to advise him how to drive, as long as he is careful. The main thing is that he enjoys it.
– The same goes for Rianna. When the children are happy, all is well, Räikkönen adds.
A good-spirited driver reminds us that during the long season, nerves sometimes tighten.
– Without a doubt, we all become more agitated as the season progresses. Everyone may be relaxed in February-March, but in September the situation is different.
Kimi on Twitter?? What did I miss?